Sabbatical Day 1
My six-week sabbatical begins today. It is strange to think that I won't be back in the office for over a month. The Potomac District, in its effort to plant new churches and rejuvenate plateauing congregations is encouraging the pastors of the district to occasionally take time to rest. Each year the District approves a certain number of sabbaticals. Of course, ministers can take a break any time they like, but with District approval comes funds to help pay for some travel during the time off. The meeting that this sabbatical was approved the board changed the district's sabbatical guidelines.
Under the former guidelines, the District has certain expectations of its ministers on sabbatical. To the best of my memory, some of those guidelines are as follows:
Under the former guidelines, the District has certain expectations of its ministers on sabbatical. To the best of my memory, some of those guidelines are as follows:
- ministers should take at least four consecutive weeks off
- ministers should not preach for at least two of those weeks in a row
- two weeks of the sabbatical should be used for a family vacation
- the minister should spend time in prayer and fasting, seeking God for direction, both personally and for the local church
- there should be an educational component to the sabbatical, consisting of a class or conference and reading
- it is suggested that the minister visit other churches during this time
- at the end of the sabbatical the minister should submit a written report of the sabbatical experience to the District Superintendent
A good friend of mine took such a sabbatical two years ago and suggested that four weeks was not enough time to both unwind and refresh. I took his advice and opted for a six-week time off. We still have not decided where to attend church, but we will probably not attend the same one for six weeks. My wife has to work for part of this time, so I am working to make sure the kids get to go to camp this summer and I am able this year to attend Scout Camp with my Webelo 2. He and I are both looking forward to it.
I want to make the most of this time and not allow any to go to waste.