God Stoops
In Psalm 18, David is is listing several things that God has done for him in his life. The psalmist ends verse 35 with this phrase, "...you stoop down to make me great."
As I was reading, this image struck me; the image of God stooping down (squatting down to reach David) in order to raise up, not just pick up, but to "make...great." I am reminded of the great humility (humbleness) of God. I think I tend to reserve humility for Christ the Son. He "emptied himself", he was "numbered with the transgressors", he washed the disciples feet, he gave over his life, etc. God is humble. Jesus was God in the flesh, behaving the way God behaves, loving as God loves, giving as God gives, stooping as God stoops; Jesus is God, in all his power, authority, and humility.
Further, the stooping image is not of God just reaching down to pick up David. That is covered in verse 16. Here, there is much more involved. God is making something, making someone. He is making David great. God is involving himself in David's affairs. He is building, shaping, manipulating (in the pure sense of the word). In another scripture, Paul declares, "...we are God's workmanship..."
In reading this verse, I picture a strong, young man kneeling in the sand, gathering, shaping, building a great sandcastle. He is adding long hallways with lots of rooms, expanding the castle. The castle is me, and it's my life. God is at work! He has stooped down to work with and on me. He is GOOD at what He does. He doesn't make mistakes, He can be trusted. I can trust Him to do what is right, what will bring Him glory, what will build His kingdom, what is best for me and my family. I can accomplish one of these at the neglect of the others, but He can do all at the same time.
Prayer: God, thank you for humbling yourself; not only to die on the cross, but in stooping down to work on/with me, to make me great. Lord, help me to be humble. Help me put away my pride, my foolish pride. Lord, please do not resist me, but help me walk in your grace. Lord, help me to be like you; help me to follow your example, stoop down, and help make others great.
As I was reading, this image struck me; the image of God stooping down (squatting down to reach David) in order to raise up, not just pick up, but to "make...great." I am reminded of the great humility (humbleness) of God. I think I tend to reserve humility for Christ the Son. He "emptied himself", he was "numbered with the transgressors", he washed the disciples feet, he gave over his life, etc. God is humble. Jesus was God in the flesh, behaving the way God behaves, loving as God loves, giving as God gives, stooping as God stoops; Jesus is God, in all his power, authority, and humility.
Further, the stooping image is not of God just reaching down to pick up David. That is covered in verse 16. Here, there is much more involved. God is making something, making someone. He is making David great. God is involving himself in David's affairs. He is building, shaping, manipulating (in the pure sense of the word). In another scripture, Paul declares, "...we are God's workmanship..."
In reading this verse, I picture a strong, young man kneeling in the sand, gathering, shaping, building a great sandcastle. He is adding long hallways with lots of rooms, expanding the castle. The castle is me, and it's my life. God is at work! He has stooped down to work with and on me. He is GOOD at what He does. He doesn't make mistakes, He can be trusted. I can trust Him to do what is right, what will bring Him glory, what will build His kingdom, what is best for me and my family. I can accomplish one of these at the neglect of the others, but He can do all at the same time.
Prayer: God, thank you for humbling yourself; not only to die on the cross, but in stooping down to work on/with me, to make me great. Lord, help me to be humble. Help me put away my pride, my foolish pride. Lord, please do not resist me, but help me walk in your grace. Lord, help me to be like you; help me to follow your example, stoop down, and help make others great.