Ups and Downs

Over the past couple of weeks things have gotten better overall. There are still moments of feeling overwhelmed with many tasks to accomplish. I am realizing what my problem is. I am working so hard to take care of everything that I am neglecting the all important self-care. I struggle with feeling guilty about taking time to renew or refresh myself. My church needs me, my family needs me, God needs me, my community needs me, etc. Actually what they need is God in me. They need me to be strong, refreshed, and in-tune with God.

I tell the same thing to new parents. It is easy for them to care so much for their new baby that they completely neglect themselves or each other. The best thing for the baby is to have healthy and happy parents. This is difficult early on as the baby doesn't sleep much. However, if the parents do not find a way to get some rest, they will soon find themselves unable to care for the baby. Who does that benefit? No one. The same is true for me. If I don't make it a priority to care for me, then I will be of no benefit to anyone.

It does help to begin to realize that Jesus stepped away from ministry to renew himself. Ironically, I preached a couple of months ago about Jesus and the transfiguration. Jesus and two of his disciples were on a mountain together and they had this awesome, life-changing spiritual experience. The part that encourages me is that meanwhile, his other disciples are carrying on Jesus' ministry to the people. However they weren't doing a great job. Jesus actually left needy, hurting people for a while to renew himself. It is that important.

Elijah, the prophet,…wanting in the worst way to be done with it all - to just die: "Enough of this, God! Take my life - I'm ready to join my ancestors in the grave!"  Exhausted, he fell asleep under the lone broom bush. Suddenly an angel shook him awake and said, "Get up and eat!"  He looked around and, to his surprise, right by his head were a loaf of bread baked on some coals and a jug of water. He ate the meal and went back to sleep.  The angel of God came back, shook him awake again, and said, "Get up and eat some more - you've got a long journey ahead of you." I Kings 19:4-7 The Message Bible

Popular posts from this blog

Sabbatical Day 1

Who told you...?

Do you want to get well?